Thursday, May 16, 2024
HomeNewsCrime and courtsArmed gunmen stopped rubbish collection ekasi

Armed gunmen stopped rubbish collection ekasi

It is getting hard every day for the City of Cape Town to deliver services as protection fee gunmen keeps tormenting waste removal workers. Less than a month ago, two security guards escorting garbage removal teams were attacked and killed in Philippi East.

Last week, the garbage removal teams were robbed and ordered to pay protection fee in Fenqe street in KTC. On Monday 02 October, the City workers were followed armed men who also demanded protection fee from them. Grant Twigg, the Mayco member for Committee Member for Urban Waste Management said they have since suspended operations in the area.

“The City of Cape Town regrets to inform Gugulethu residents that the growing trend of criminals demanding protection money from the City of Cape Town has compelled the City to temporarily withdraw collection services from the community as a precautionary measure. Collections teams in the area yesterday morning reported that they were being followed by vehicles of armed men,” said Twigg.

He said his department is calling on the South African Police Service to investigate and to take urgent action against the perpetrators of these schemes.

“Criminals cannot be allowed to hijack service delivery in this way,” said Twigg.

Twigg said the City has withdrawn services not only in Nyanga but also in Nyanga and Philippi East over the same problem. They were also forced to suspend services in Manenberg area due to gang violence that have flared up in the area.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments